OUR CLUB HISTORY
Cor Scholten Biography
The Oxley Dog Training Club Grounds are named after our late member, Cor Scholten.
Cor was a founding member of our club in 1968. He was born in Holland in 1930 and immigrated to Sydney, Australia in 1954
He brought with him an introductory letter from the Amsterdam Shepherd Dog League to the German Shepherd Dog League in 1955. With permission from the Austrlian League, he commenced the first organised (and successful) obedience training classes in NSW.
Cor founded the Sydney All Breeds Club in 1958, having obtained all relevant permissions required in those days and was Chief Instructor for seven years. He trained Dobermans, German Shepherds, Boxers, Bull Terriers, Schipperkes and Airedales.
In 1958 the Guide Dog Association was formed and Cor was invited to be part of the foundation committee. He remained on the committe until his marriage and subsequent move to Tamworth and maintained his involvement with the association.
He was a life member of the following groups: Sydney all Breeds Dog Training Club, Sutherland Dog Training Club, Oxley Dog Training Club Tamworth,Tamworth Kennel Club, Moree Kennel Club, Combined Obedience Agility and Tracking School, Northern District Rottweiler Club of NSW, Royal Guide Dog Association of NSW & ACT.
Cor was also a patron of the following clubs:
Northern District Rottweiler Club of NSW and Sydney All Breeds Dog Training Club
Cor has judged obedience at all levels from 1956 to 1996 with memorable assignments being:
The Brisbane Royal, The first National Airedale Combined Show, The first National Doberman Club Show,State Titles in South Australia and Darwin, The Airedale Club of Victoria.
In 1968 the Oxley Dog Training Club began training at Viaduct Park in Tamworth and the rest as they say is History.